December 06, 2007

It's Official...I have a home!

He signed for the house today and we have keys in hand! Woo-hoo!

We walked into our brand new house and panic set in. After years of living in military quarters and being happy with what I had....my short departure set me up for a shock. Even though this house is brand new (never lived in) and has 2.5 bathrooms, laminate wood floors and granite counter tops.........the 1649 sq. ft was painful.

Our house was 2350 sq. ft and somehow in the span of 2.7 years we managed to fill it. Now we are trying to figure out what to purge, what to place in storage, and what to live with. Granted I have never lived in quarters with this much square footage, I'm still a bit freaked.

Also in my 2.7 years in my own house, I began to love walls with color. The white walls of this house seem so stark. Never-the-less, the furniture goes in tomorrow and I will learn to love it. I'm sure it will be packed to the hilt and we will feel closer than ever as a family (pun INTENDED).

Do you suppose the military does this on purpose....?
They cram you and your family into a tiny hotel room with 2 beds, 2 chairs, 1 desk, a fridge and a microwave to make you appreciate what little space they give you. I'm convinced it's a conspiracy cooked up between the contractors and the DOD.

Then again, it could be stemming from the insanity that developed from living so closely with two teenagers and grouchy husband.

I love my family! :)

1 comment:

Jules said...

That was quick! Very, very happy for you. Squeezing too much stuff into too small a space, I know a thing or two about that. Good luck!! Let me know when you plan on heading North for break. :-)